Thursday 30 June 2016

Stuck between a rock and a hard place...Literally!




As I sat there stuck on the side of a huge cliff face waiting to be rescued, I thought to myself "how did I end up here?"

“There's a victory, and defeat; the first and best of victories, the lowest and worst of defeats which each man gains or sustains at the hands not of another, but of himself.” Plato

I had an incredible job taking 800 passengers up on the Kuranda scenic train each day. The train took passengers up through thirteen tunnels, direct along the mountain and alongside the most amazing waterfalls. It is known as one of the great rail journeys in the world.

When the train got to the top of the mountain I always had a few hours to kill and instead of sitting around watching TV like the other fellas I would always go swimming, riding or adventuring.

This time, I decided to take my rock climbing shoes and play around on Barron Falls, a 400ft cascading rock face in the Tropical Far North of Queensland, Australia. As the afternoon sun grew so did my confidence climbing in this incredible place. I climbed further and further till I found myself on a ledge. I realized I couldn’t climb back down the way I came. AS you know climbing down backward is not an option.

I got very concerned, very quickly, as the way up was vertical and with no ropes. I realized I was stuck, I started to think about all the possibilities of every option that I had and the consequences of each. 3 options – Climb back down (not an option) Sit and wait to be rescued or climb up and risk my life…..

So I decided to sit and wait to be rescued, I sat waiting for 30 mins thinking about the reality of my decision. The train would be about to depart and I wouldn’t be there to give the go ahead for the train to leave, as I was responsible for the passengers. I wouldn’t be there to do anything. So the train would be stuck, 800 passengers stranded, hot, tired and waiting to leave. Everything started to flash very fast, helicopters, news crew, the headlines, government job, sacked, safe to say it was going to be bad.

“Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.” Aristotle

So I changed my mind and started to climb up, heart racing, paralyzed with fear but I pushed through as I now had only one option; get up that cliff and run for that train. I made it to the top and almost died, it felt like an out of body experience. I sprinted for the train and just made it. The hostesses took one look at me and said “are you ok? You look like you have seen a ghost” It’s a long story ☺ I said.

What made me climb instead of waiting? It was only when the pain of staying on that cliff edge outweighed the risk of climbing up that I decided to take action. This is the same in life, we wait until the pain becomes so great and then we take action.  When we decide to leave self-doubt behind and say yes to ourselves we smash the limits that hold us back from our true potential.

“Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it's no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing.” Eckhart Tolle

It doesn't have to be that way, you can listen to that voice that niggles telling you there's more. Saying you are more than this more than your circumstances, because you are.

Fear is real.

Fear is normal.

Fear is within us all.

When we get nervous that means it important.

Am I good enough? Am I worthy? Do I belong here? Yes!

We are conditioned on failure it's black or white you're right or wrong. That’s not true, you are learning at each setback.

The more you let yourself down, the more you put things off, the more you spiral inwards.

What is your response to the fear? Do you blame? Loose time? Procrastinate? Perfectionism?

The fear will never go away so you need to act anyway. Turn the fear into a goal.

Courage comes after you act.

Ask yourself how do you want it to be?

What would be possible if you were without fear?

If you wait for perfection you have waited too long and are fuelling the fear.

I know what you might be thinking, you are doing pretty well in life, the money is coming in, things are ok. But there is a little voice quietly telling you there is more, you can achieve more, be more, you are worth more than you acknowledge yourself for.

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” Plato


Now is the time to start listening to that voice. Let us chat and let me help you take action.

Rise Up out of the everyday and into life. 

Join me on this journey below.
Snachap - thephoenixexp


No comments:

Post a Comment