Monday 5 October 2015

Its ok to be selfish sometimes, isn't it?



Life was travelling along great until it all got ripped out from under me when I was a passenger in a single vehicle accident. I was only 20 years old and on the way to Far North Queensland. I wrote about it here.

I was fit, healthy and enjoying life. I had a beautiful girlfriend who I loved spending time with.  My job paid great money, with money came an apartment and a car. Safe to say life was very good.

I was in a bad way physically and mentally after the accident. The only way I could deal with getting myself right was to continue what I started and go up north and go walkabout.

“Walkabout” refers to a rite of passage during which male Australian Aboriginals would undergo a journey during adolescence and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months. In this practice they would trace the paths, or "songlines", that their ancestors took, and imitate, in a fashion, their heroic deeds.

I left everything behind and never went back. My girlfriend was hurt and couldn’t understand why I was leaving. I left my car, apartment and job. I went north with a sleeping bag, a pillow and the clothes on my back. With very little money I slept on beaches, beside rivers and waterfalls. Hitch hiking was my sole mode of transport.

Selfish:
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself:

I tell this story because I was selfish and I did leave a path of destruction but it was what I believe I needed to do at the time to get my life back on track. I don’t know if it was right or wrong but it was the decision I made at the time. We all make decisions that affect other people in someway. Do we get it right all the time? Possibly not but that’s how life is.

“Putting yourself first is not selfish. Thinking about yourself constantly is selfish. Please respect the difference.” Kushandwizdom

We don’t need to fix ourselves, because we aren’t broken. Sometimes we need to take the time to reconnect with ourselves. This isn’t selfish it’s necessary for us as humans. We will be better people in the long run for those around us.


“Put yourself first...Because if you can't care about yourself, how the hell are you gonna care for someone else?” Unknown

Rise Up. Out of the everyday and into life.
Join me on this journey below

No comments:

Post a Comment