Thursday 4 February 2016

5 ways to keep the commitment to your dream





Tonight before writing this BLOG I was looking for every excuse under the sun to go and watch TV and hangout. I was mindlessly looking at the screen in the hope that something would distract me so I could put it off till tomorrow night. Then I realized that I am going on a photo shoot in the mountains tomorrow afternoon for sunset.

“Procrastination is like a credit card: it's a lot of fun until you get the bill.”
Christopher Parker

So if not then, when would I get to write it?

By the time I had another free night next Thursday would have come around.

But I committed in my schedule to writing my BLOG each week on the same day. But I said to myself you have done enough you had a late night last night so its ok to relax. Well its is ok to relax and it will be once I finish writing it. So it got me thinking about time better time management.

“A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” Colin Powell

My schedule is airtight so it can’t be that. This is something the jobseekers that I present to each week ask me a lot about. I tell them its not to do with time management its about procrastination. We are all guilty of putting the hardest tasks to the bottom of our list.

Procrastination [proh-kras-tuh-ney-shuh
noun
1.     the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention:

So I thought how can I push through?

1. Make sure you have a big why. What is reason that’s going to get you out of bed when the going gets tough or you don’t “feel” like doing it?

2. Pareto rule – Do 20% of the tasks that will give you 80% of the results.

3. Hold yourself accountable to the commitments you give to yourself by just doing what you said you would.

4. Stick to the schedule you give yourself.

5. Celebrate the wins that come from doing what you said you were going to do.

“Turning pro is a mindset. If we are struggling with fear, self-sabotage, procrastination, self-doubt, etc., the problem is, we're thinking like amateurs. Amateurs don't show up. Amateurs crap out. Amateurs let adversity defeat them. The pro thinks differently. He shows up, he does his work, he keeps on truckin', no matter what.” Steven Pressfield

I understand that life gets in the way. If it’s not one thing it’s another, it just keeps coming at us. It’s always going to keep coming at us, that’s half the fun of being a human. We are going to get off track, just don’t sabotage what’s important to you by letting distractions take over.


Days turn into weeks, weeks into months and months into years. Don’t let the time escape you.

Rise Up. Out of the everyday and into life.

Join me on this journey by following below.

No comments:

Post a Comment